Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Getting better is making me sick

So, I started taking an injectable medication last Tuesday for my diabetes. It's not insulin, but rather a very new drug designed to slow the metabolism and even out glucose levels. I knew the risk of side effects when I started taking it. But, damn, it sucks. Sunday night, right after eating, I became violently ill. Uncontrollable vomiting and (to put it politely) gastrointestinal distress. I have been sick like a dog ever since.

I missed work on Monday and went home early yesterday. Now I am sitting here at work, still fighting back the nausea. I talked to my Dr. and she assured me that these are the typical side effects and shouldn't last more than a week. A week??? Good lord and butter. How am I supposed to get this diabetes under control if
  1. I can't keep my other medications down?
  2. I cannot eat anything for fear of losing it 2 minutes later?
  3. I get dehydrated, because water isn't even staying with me?
So, getting better, is making me sick. What a drag.

OK, I'm finished complaining.

On a happy note, we got a new kitten. He is gray and white and as sweet as can be. He still has not told us what his name is yet, but these things take time sometimes. Right now I just all him Little Buddy. So, Gilligan has crossed my mind more than once. LOL Took him to the Cat Clinic on Monday afternoon, and he got a clean bill of health and got his shots and stuff. I will post a pic as soon as I get one.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

visiting and commenting since RW told me to :)

this entry caught my eye...are you talking about Byetta? if so, let me know and I can give you an address to a blog that helped me bigtime.

Ville said...

Hi Jolie. Thanks for stopping in. Yes, I am talking about Byetta. The nausea and badness has finally passed, but I would love to know what website you are speaking of. Thanks!!

Anonymous said...

I just finished my 5mcg pen and I start on the 10mcg pen tonight. I'm worried about the side affects of the 10 as I know it can be a hell of a lot worse than the 5. The blog I am speaking of is http://diabetes.blog.com

There are pages and pages on Byetta...a wealth of information. Also check out the food pages, specifically the stuff about acid/alkaline suggestions. That helped me tremendously.