Monday, March 20, 2006

I knew I was sweet, but this is ridiculous

Last weekend was an adventure. Saturday morning our sewer was backed up AGAIN, so we decided to try our new drain bladder. It is a device that you hook up to your garden hose and shove down into the main sewer line. It fills up with water, and then lets the water go in a huge burst. This is to get the clog unstuck. It will do this over and over until the clog has been completely swooshed away with the force of the water.

So anyway, Beau hooked the damn thing up and shoved it in the line and just let it go. He went off to work and I monitored the progress. I pulled the thing back out and was puzzled because it didn't seem to be working, so I tried just filling it up outside of the main. Hmmm...it's not filling. Must be a defective bladder. (I know how funny that sounds.) So, I pack the thing up and through some miracle I find the receipt, and decide to take it back to Lowes.

OK. New bladder in hand, I hook it up and stick it down the hole. (Why I didn't test it first is beyond me.) About an hour and a half to 2 hours go by. It is a beautiful day, I decide to open all the windows in the house. I go into the office to open that window, and discover that the carpet is soaking wet, from the back wall and in a good 5 feet or so. HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!! I run outside, pull the thingy from the main again, and discover the problem. The bladder would have worked just fine if the hose had been spewing water out of it, instead of backing up into my house!!!!!!!!

WOW. One problem escalated into 2 problems. Crapiola! Well, I called the Home Warranty company and of course, no one is available until Monday. In the meantime, I think to myself, hopefully we can at least hook the bladder up to one of the other 2 faucets outside. But the hose is too short. I need to get groceries anyway, so off to the Evil Wal*Mart faction I go. Hooked up the thingy to a different faucet and shoved it back in the hole. At least this time it was working properly. Still didn't resolve the plumbing issue, but it was filling up. Beau finally came home in the afternoon, and being as we had no sewer system, we decided that it was necessary to vacate.

We ended up in Tulsa at an extended stay hotel. You know the kind that have little kitchens in them so you aren't spending a bunch of money on eating out. We came back to Stillwater on Monday and had a plumber out to fix the sewer problem (FOR NOW). Apparently, we have broken pipes. We have time before we have to get them fixed, but it will cost around $2000.00.

*sigh*

I had a pre-existing Dr's appointment on Monday as well. A follow up appointment for my toes. The Dr. looked at them and could see that they are not healing right. He asked me if I was a diabetic, I replied, "Not that I know of." So he decided to do a blood sugar test. Low and behold, I popped 297. Normal levels are somewhere between 70 and 90. So he says to me, "There's your problem, dear. You're an undiagnosed diabetic!"

I knew it, I just knew it, but I needed the kick in the ass he gave me to face it and finally do something about it. An appointment was made for me to see Dr. English, a family practionioner here in Stillwater, the following Thursday. She confirmed what I already knew. So, now I am on diabetic meds and testing my blood sugar twice a day.

So it's official. I am a diabetic. But the sewer is running fine.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you remember that time you puked in my sink? I used a bladder to unstop it. LOL!

Sorry about your woes, but you do tell a good story...

Ville said...

LOL. Gross!! Thanks for the mammaries. I also remember how pissed off Mike was because we made him come over and try to clear it.

Anonymous said...

...I don't remember that part...
LOL!