Saturday, June 24, 2006

On what could have been

A short while ago some friends and I were discussing the untimely deaths of some of our great musicians. Imagining what they would be doing now. What wonderful musical gifts we would have now, if only they hadn't died so young.

Think about it. What would John Lennon be composing now? What musical direction would Freddie Mercury have gone? Croce, Marley, Stevie Ray...

I finally broke down today and bought myself Queen's Greatest hits CD (I have it on vinyl and am still holding out hope that one day I will again have a turntable). Anyway, as I was listening, my mind once again wondered about Freddie and his incredible talent and diversity. There have been so many lost to us, taking with them talents that could never be reproduced. Who would you like to see come back for one last set?

2 comments:

RW said...

Phil Ochs.

Anonymous said...

Bon Scott. I love both eras of AC/DC, but I always felt I connected better to Bon's era, even though I didn't know about the band when he was alive. I'd have loved to have seen him live, and of course to party backstage with him!

It's hard to choose only one, there were so many greats I wasn't around for (Jimi, Joplin, Freddie, Croce) and some I was around for but never got to see (Darrel "Dimebag" Abbott, Robin Crosby, Randy Rhodes). It's impossible to wrap your brain around the shape of the musical world if they were still kickin!