Saturday, February 07, 2004

Terrorism and my own backyard

For most of us, I imagine, we don't really think about terrorist threats in relation to our own personal lives. As for myself I watch the news and hear about threats against senators and post offices. While these are causes for slight concern, I usually never think twice about them. I bring this up because when I came into work this morning, I was informed that our office received a "suspicious" piece of mail. (I was not in the office due to heavy snow.)

Anyway, the boss got this envelope, which was addressed only to ACME Brick, at this address. No return address on the envelope. Which isn't that unusual, but Bob (thats the boss) just happened to hold it up to the light, just to see if it was something worth opening, or whatever. Through the envelope the only word he could see, in bold letters was ANTHRAX. Apparently he could also make out "Nation of Islam" through the back of the envelope. He immediately called the police, who in turn contacted hazmat. Before long the place was swarming with cops, firemen and various other forms of hazmat crew. The envelope was placed into a plastic bag and taken to a testing facility.

As far as I know, we do not have any results back confirming or denying the presence of any Anthrax. The FBI are supposed to come in today and question all of us to find out if we know of anyone that could possibly want to do us harm. I cannot think of a soul. We do have a few Middle Eastern customers, so of course these are the names that are flying around the office. This in itself really pisses me off. So I reminded a few of them about all the innocent Japanese families that were put into concentration camps during WW2, only for the simple fact that they were Japanese.

Don't get me wrong, I of course take this very seriously, but we are in the middle of a war with a country that was attacked by a president that made the same reactionary assumption. If they are Middle Eastern, they are terrorists. We have terrorism right here in this country that he ignores every day. In the form of street gangs and so called legal organizations like the KKK.

Anyway I am off the subject. What really kinda scares me, is that if I had been here, I would have gotten the mail (like I always do ) and I probably would have just ripped it open. I can tell you that from now on I will be a bit more cautious about that.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just reaffirms my belief that there are no accidents or coincidences. You were NOT supposed to be there yesterday to open the envelope, and that's why you got snowed in. Your angels and guides are on their toes! Whew!

Ville said...

Wow, yeah. That thought had not occured to me. I guess I do have gurdian angels. (Thanks Cteev and Ducky)

Anonymous said...

So......do you like snow now?........

8^]

Anonymous said...

Very insightful. Firstly, I can't believe this happened at your office. How surreal. Secondly, Deb, aren't you shocked that people continue to look for a scapegoat in anyone different? Doesn't it seem kind of obvious that this whole "Nation of Islam" "Anthrax" crap is a hoax by someone who wants to put forward some kind of anymosity? UGH. Of course, I hope it doesn't turn out to be real Anthrax, but still... I mean the only suspect for the original Anrthrax thing wasn't Muslim. I guess people don't want to remembmer, in this country, that the terrorism, prior to the WTC, was perpetrated by American zealots? Nah, that would be too difficult, I suppose.

Anonymous said...

How true. And this Ricin scare? Just George Dubya's attempt to bring public focus back on how well he's "staying the course" with this obscene & pointless war. This is an arrogant and dangerous administration. The only consolation I have is that should he be re-elected, he'll never be able to call the oval office home again after his 2nd term. To find the true and most dangerous terrorists, we need only look as far as our White House.

Ville said...

Ain't that the truth!!!! Reagan concerned me, Bush Sr. scared me, but Jr. terrifies me. He has made it clear that he is after more than the White House. This maniac wants to rule the world- with an iron cross and a spiked glove no less.